Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Welcome to my new blog ...

and my new adventure. Sometimes I find myself thinking, "what am I thinking?" Homeschooling is a big task, but I guess this is why we are starting at the preschool level. Haha. Not as much pressure since a lot of the "work" is fun and games. Our current plan is to homeschool for preschool and still send the boys to public school for kindergarten, but that very well may change with time. We'll see how this all goes.

So, why homepreschool?  Homeschooling just fits our lifestyle better than traditional school. Homepreschool allows Big Monkey to start some structured activities now instead of at almost age 4 (when he'd be allowed to start the schools I'm interested in). We can still travel as much as we want (and the boys and I travel to grandma's house a lot). I can keep track of Big Monkey's progress and tailor his work to his exact needs. I don't have to worry about Big Monkey's peanut allergy, and honestly, school at this age with a peanut allergy scares the crud out of me. Lastly, I'd like to think that in the long run, this will save us money, but right now I have had too much fun buying "supplies" to have saved any money yet. There are more reasons, but these are the big ones that swayed our decision. We've been doing homepreschool for a month now, and so far it has been very successful and Big Monkey seems to be enjoying himself, as is Mama Monkey.

My hope is to update my blog daily with our chosen activities, but that probably won't be reality. I seem to have a tough time including daily items like updating a blog, but I will try. We are not doing anything too interesting for the next few weeks as I am still building our curriculum. I will try to post a few entries about our setup and curriculum design and where I'm getting my ideas soon! Even if you have no interest in homeschooling, several of the activities we do may be great rainy day activity ideas for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment