Friday, October 7, 2011

More Pumpkins

We stuck with the pumpkin theme today since it is October and we hope to eventually make it to a pumpkin patch this month. Our attention spans were a little better this morning compared to yesterday. This made me a happy Mama Monkey.

We started with the same numbered circle activity that we have done twice already this week. He asked for it first thing, so I let him have at it. He put the circles in their correct spots (matching up the numbers) once and decided he was ready to move on.


Next requested was scissors practice. He's getting better day by day, but man do I feel the need to watch out for those little fingers. These are children's blunt/rounded tip safety scissors, but still.


While in the school room (my office/exercise room), I had Big Monkey visit our bulletin board. Our current setup isn't bad, but things will be changing come November. We just received our big box of board supplies and other stuff from Oriental Trading Company, so I'm excited. We'll have a new calendar as well as a weather board and some other goodies. For now, Big Monkey is happy to count our numbered stars (we usually add a new one each day, but we've stopped at 15 to master recognition numbers 11-15 first). Then we talked about the day, month, and date a little and colored a pumpkin for our calendar (we're a little behind this month).



During all of this Baby Monkey decided to turn on the Roomba vacuum and chase it around the dining room. I caught him yawning as he watched us - I guess preschool seems pretty boring.



Big Monkey then moved on to Pumpkin Printables that I downloaded from Confessions of a Homeschooler (she has awesome printables as does Homeschool Creations). We did a magnet letter (I had him place just plain pom poms on the circles as I'm still not sure if I am comfortable with having magnets around for Baby Monkey to try and eat), a pumpkin coloring page, and pumpkin counting using cheerios. He loved the coloring page the most, but didn't mind eating the cheerios once he finished counting. For the counting, I asked him what number was on the pumpkin and then guided him in placing the right number of cheerios by counting each cheerio as he placed it on the pumpkin.


We finished up our day with a snack outside and some playtime. We've been in the house for a few days because of the rain, and Big Monkey needed to climb! Baby Monkey hung with Mama Monkey while we played. All in all, a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment