Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Super Yummy Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix

Ok, you know if I'm posting about a pancake mix that this must be good. A pancake is a pancake and not that hard to do well, right? Well, I think out of all the pancakes I have tried making at home, these have the best flavor.

The best part? I have a bag of the mix ready to go in my freezer for the next time! The first part of this recipe tells you how to make the pancake mix. The second part tells you how to make the actual pancakes. You can substitute ingredients if you would like (I did from the original recipe, which is how I got to this), but I think it will change the flavor profile.

Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix

4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (I use King Arthur brand)
1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour (again, I use King Arthur brand)
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, lightly ground (you want them chopped fine but not a powder)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup olive oil 

Put all dry ingredients into a mixer with a paddle. Mix on slow until well combined. Drizzle olive oil into the dry ingredients while mixing on slow speed. Mix until well combined.

Store this mix in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer. (I do not claim to have any food photography skills, so no judgement please!) 


Pancakes

This recipe makes a nice tall stack of pancakes. I like to make pancakes once and have enough to feed my entire family plus have another day or two worth to put in the freezer. You can cut this recipe in half or even down to a third. 

3 cups homemade mix
3 cups of milk
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 
3 large eggs 

Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes in a separate bowl or measuring cup.

Mix the pancake mix and eggs together. Then add in the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture. If the batter is super runny (mine was, but I might have used a little too much milk), add a little extra pancake mix. Don't make the batter too thick though as it will thicken while it sits. Let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes before cooking (this is where it thickens a little on it's own).

Cook however you like to cook pancakes! I coat my cast iron skillet with a little butter and then cook. Apparently, I had my heat a little too high today as my pancakes are a little darker than the golden color I prefer. They still tasted amazing both plain and topped with a little pure maple syrup.

Enjoy!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment